The management of the University of Benin Teaching Hospital (UBTH), says a total of three confirmed cases of the novel COVID-19 pandemic has been recorded in its centre.
It, however, appealed for the support and understanding of members of the public, as it continues to fight the raging battle to contain and curb coronavirus disease, otherwise called COVID-19.
The Chief Medical Director of the Hospital, Prof. Darlington Obaseki, made the appeal on Sunday in Benin, while giving an update on the patients who tested positive to the virus in the Hospital.
He said the Hospital has so far received three patients who have tested positive with coronavirus confirmed the cases, adding that two of the patients who are still alive are presently behind cared for in isolation centre.
He further disclosed that the Hospital staff who were exposed to the patients are closely being monitored.
According to him, “the two surviving patients are currently being cared for by our dedicated staff in an isolation ward with restricted access.
“Prior to confirmation of their COVID-19 status, some of our healthcare staff were exposed to these patients whilst using only personal protection (surgical face-masks and gloves).
“Currently all staff who were exposed to these patients are asymptomatic and they are being monitored closely according to current guidelines.
“Further measures have been put in place to ensure that our staff are not unduly exposed to risks of infection with COVID-19 in the course of their providing care for patients who come to the hospital for various reasons.
“Healthcare workers are on the front lines in this pandemic and therefore at a higher risk of being exposed than the general public.
“The management and staff of UBTH while ensuring standard precautions at all times to prevent the spread of this disease, crave the support and understanding of the general public as we fight this raging battle to contain and curb COVID-19.”