By Osahon Osahon
A 70-year-old landlord, Solomon Odogbor and a hired painter were on Friday electrocuted and burnt beyond recognition in Benin, capital of Edo State.
The incident occured at a building close to the Edaiken Primary School Road, Uselu Quarters, in Egor Local Government Area the State.
The septuagenarian who was preparing for the wedding ceremony of one of his daughters, hired two painters to help paint his two story building.
It was gathered that the painters had climbed a metal scaffold set up beside the building, while the man and his last son held the scaffold on the ground to stabilize it.
Osakpolor Odia, who witnessed the incident, disclosed that the metal scaffold was placed between a high tension electric pole and the building.
Odia disclosed that the scaffold suddenly waved under the weight of the two painters, but the grip of man and his son was not enough to prevent it from contact with the high tension pole, thereby resulting in the electrocution.
The landlord and one of the painter got burnt beyond recognition while his son and the other painter were shocked to coma.
“Shortly, one of the workers screamed for help, and Odogbor was seen stuck in between the scaffold and the poles while fire burnt from his vibrating body.
“The landlord and his son were holding the scaffold when they were electrocuted. They were burnt beyond recognition” he said.
A food vending woman who also witnessed the incident said: “I earlier shouted as I saw them climb the pole because it was too close to the high tension lines. Before you know it, it was only cry for help I heard as I ran to the house.
It was gathered that m police operatives from Ugbowo Police Division later evacuated the remains of the two victims to the mortuary while the others were taken to the hospital for medical attention.
When contacted, the State Police Command spokesman, SP Kontongs Bello said he was yet to be briefed.