By Osahon Osahon
A minor fire incident that occurred in the early hours of Thursday, caused pandemonium in the University of Benin (UNIBEN).
The fire incident occurred in one of the offices inside Akin Deko Hall, the main auditorium of the institution.
It was gathered that there was an event holding in the hall when the fire incident occurred.
The fire which was said to have lasted for about 30 minutes before it was put out, caused panic and commotion, as staff of the University who use the office and others scampered for safety.
There was however no report of any one of them sustaining injury.
Besides, prompt response of UNIBEN fire fighters prevented the fire from spreading to the entire complex.
The University’s Public Relations Officer, Dr. (Mrs.) Benedicta Ehanire, confirmed the incident to journalists on phone, noting that it was caused by a “simple electric spark.”
“There was an event in the hall. I was even at the hall myself. It was a simple electric spark, it can happen at home or anywhere else,” she said.