The Presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP), Mr. Peter Obi, on Friday officially unveiled his running mate for 2023 presidential election.
Obi’s running mate and vice presidential candidate is Senator Yusuf Datti Baba-Ahmed. He was announced as the party’s choice at press conference in Abuja, Friday morning.
Here are the facts to know about him:
- Yusuf Datti Baba-Ahmed was born to the Baba-Ahmed family in Zaria, Kaduna State, in 1975/1976
- He is among the thirty-three children of his father, Baba Ahmed, who was an Arab cattle-trader from modern day Mauritania, who later became a notable professor and expert on Islamic jurisprudence.
- Baba-Ahmed has a BSc and MSc in Economics from the University of Maiduguri in Borno State.
- He worked in the security Printing and Minting, Lagos before entering into politics.
- Baba-Ahmed was elected as House of Representatives member for Zaria Federal Constituency on the platform of All Nigeria People’s Party in 2003.
- While in the position, he became known for speaking out against corruption and the Third Term Agenda of former President Olusegun Obasanjo.
- In 2006, while a Federal representative, he earned the title of Doctor of Philosophy when he completed his PhD studies at the University of Westminster.
- Baba-Ahmed was founder and Pro-Chancellor of Baze University, an independent university located in Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory, Nigeria, which opened in April 2011.
- In the April 2011 elections, Baba-Ahmed polled 366,398 votes in the contest for Senator and won the senator seat for Kaduna North from 2011 to 2012.
Leave a Reply